Technology and design notes, by someone who has helped technology companies like Google and Bloomberg develop new products. Check out the front door or read up about Stefan. Follow new postings via RSS, or get tweets from Stefan
This is the inaugural post on smagula.org. It marks the end of smagula.net, a site that I hand-coded about ten years ago and maintained until a month ago when someone else became the owner of that domain. Thanks old site, you served me well.
This site is proudly built with Drupal, and will offer many more features and functionality, from a nice litle blog, feed aggregation, calendars, slideshows, carousels, voting, ratings, and really just about anything I can teach myself to cobble together.
Drupal is an open source content management system and a social network platform, and a Web framework. All depends on what angle you're looking from. Smagula.org is in good company: Whitehouse.gov site, Economist.com, and social media sites like nowpublic.com.
Smagula.org was built with Creative Commons, free, and Open Source software:
- The Fusion core theme is the basis for the custom Fusion Smag sub-theme I created
- Tutorials on 960 px grid systems
- Advice and tips from Ezra Gildesgame from Growing Venture Solutions as well as the help of Theresa Summa at The Economist, and the galleys of a forthcoming book by Greg Knaddison and Ezra: Drupal in Action
- A color palette inspired by colourlovers.com
- The Droid Sans and Droid Serif typefaces, CC licensed as part of the Open Source Android OS and streamed courtesy of Jeff Veen and friends at Typekit.com
- The Silkscreen typeface, courtesy of Kottke.com